Not all glass is the same.
Glass beverage bottles and food jars are 100% recyclable and can be recycled endlessly without any loss in purity or quality, but not all glass is the same.
Other types of glass items are made differently than bottles and jars. They have different melting points and material compositions and should never be mixed with bottle and jar recycling programs. The items not accepted in the Prism glass recycling program are:
- Drinking or wine glasses, cups and plates
- Ceramics, Pyrex or other heat resistant glass
- Light bulbs or fluorescent tubes
- Computer monitors, phone screens, old TV tubes
- Plate glass: windows, sliding doors, picture frame glass
- Safety glass, car windshields
- Art glass and leaded crystal
- Trophies, ashtrays, and vases
These items will cause glass recyclers to reject whole loads of glass and send them to a landfill. This defeats the purpose of recycling and is why it is so important that you place only glass bottles and jars in the Prism glass recycling drop-boxes.
If you have further questions on glass recycling, please contact us at email@example.com. You can also visit the Glass Packaging Institute website for a deeper dive into glass recycling at www.gpi.org/recycling.